COUNCIL TAX will be cut by £150 for those struggling financially due to COVID-19.

Who is eligible for council tax support?

All Brits of working age who receive council tax support are eligible to benefit from the hardship fund.

Council tax support, or council tax reduction, is a benefit to help those on low income or on a few different types of benefits to pay their council tax bill.

The amount of support will vary between different areas of the country, since each local council is responsible for deciding how to operate the scheme in their area.

How much support will I receive?

The amount of support you will receive depends on the following:

  • Where you live – each council runs its own scheme
  • Your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • Your household income – this includes savings, pensions and your Partner’s income
  • If your children live with you
  • If other adults live with you

You may get more Council Tax Support if you receive a disability or carers benefit.
Those who receive the Guarantee Credit Part of Pension Credit may get their council tax paid in full.
If you don’t get this, but have a low income and less than £16,000 in savings, you may still be eligible for some help. Pensioners who live alone may get a discounted bill or may receive council tax support.

How do I apply for council tax support?

If you aren’t already receiving council tax support, you can apply here. All you need to do is pop in your postcode and you should be redirected to your council’s website. This website should give you all the information you need to know.

If you are still unsure, the website will give you all the relevant contact information to speak to someone who can help.

If you are already receiving council tax support, your revised bill will come through in the next few weeks. If it is not reduced, you should contact your council to check whether you are eligible for support or not.

If your bill is normally £150 or less, you may not have to pay council tax at all. If it is more, it should be reduced significantly if you are eligible.