The amount you can claim will depend on your circumstances, including your level of household income. You will not be able to claim if you have savings over £16,000.

How do these benefits currently work?

Universal Credit replaces six benefits – including Working Tax Credit and Housing Benefit – with one monthly payment.

You may be entitled to it if you are on a low income or out of work, which is why the government is suggesting those who’ve been forced out of a job due to coronavirus should apply for it.

You get your standard allowance, plus potentially extra on top if you have children, a disability or health condition, or you care for someone with a disability.

Working Tax Credit, meanwhile, depends on the hours of paid work you do each week, plus your income and circumstances.

Again, you may then get extra “elements” on top depending on whether you’re in a couple, have children, a disability, and how many hours you work.

How do I apply for these benefits?

As JobCentre phone lines are currently extremely busy, new claimants are asked to apply for Universal Credit online.

You can do this by the GOV website – you’ll need information about your income, your housing situation and proof of your identity.

As Working Tax Credit has mostly been replaced by Universal Credit, you can only make a new claim if you get a severe disability premium.

Find out more information on the GOV website.

Categories: Communication

%d bloggers like this: